Saturday, December 27, 2008

HERE'S THE RECIPE

POTATO ROLLS

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup potatoes, boiled and mashed
4 cups milk, scalded
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar

Mix and cool to lukewarm. Mix in 1 package of dry yeast. Add enough flour until dough falls off the spoon. Let rise until double in size.

ADD:

3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp salt


Mix well with dough.

Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups flour (more or less) to make it the consistency of bread dough. Knead until smooth (forever). Let rise again, then make rolls using 1/4 cup per roll, or refrigerate until ready to use.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes for rolls.


I just try to keep the dough as sticky as possible. Be sure to knead the dough the second time (or mix in the mixer) a lot- that will make it so you don't need as much flour. It should just come away from the side of the bowl. Sometimes I need to dust my hands with flour to shape the rolls.

It also makes great monkey bread or cinnamon rolls.

1 comment:

Jessica Jane said...

AWESOME!! I can't wait to make them! It was so good to see you guys. I wish we could see you more often I love your family. You are all so nice and so wonderful. It was an added treat to see your mom, it had been a long lone time. I'll see you again this weekend, I guess that's the up side to funerals.

THANKS for the recipe!